Oct 18, 2013 - 8:26 am
So, last we updated, he was recommended to start chemo for collecting duct carcinoma and we had requested a pathology review from Mayo. B wanted to wait on these results before starting chemo, and that hasn't come back yet. He was told to stop taking Votrient a couple weeks ago, and has been sick since that time....fever, chills, sweating, pain....feeling lousy. they did lots of tests to rule out infection, including another ct on Monday to rule out an abscess in his kidney. Everything was clear. But the ct showed that the tumors had grown in the last couple of weeks, and this is likely why he's been feeling so lousy. They recommended, based on tumor growth, that he start chemo right away instead of waiting on Mayo.
Wednesday, he got a call to come in right away to do more blood work to rule out testicular cancer. Instead of? In addition to? He did the blood work and we were called in yesterday to speak to the local oncologist. Apparently, UW did their own review of the pathology since we were unhappy, and have now decided that this is NOT kidney cancer. It is possibly testicular cancer, and one of his markers for that came back high. But its not clear. He has no primary in his testicle, and an ultrasound yesterday confirmed this. However, apparently testicular cancer can do this. So basically, at this point we move forward with chemo for TC and if that works, that confirms the diagnosis. If it works, the pain should start to decrease within a couple weeks of starting treatment. He starts Monday. It is five days straight, then the following two Mondays, then start over again. He will have a ct scan after six weeks.
We will keep you guys updated. You have all been so incredibly supportive throughout all of this. We cannot tell you how much we appreciate that. Seven months into this and now a complete change. On a postive note, if this is the right diagnosis, he has over 50% chance of cure even with as widespread as his cancer is!