Sep 26, 2013 - 12:38 pm
I think this has come up bedfore but it's so darned hard to search this site. My husband finished his treatment (with flying colors, perhaps I will post an update) at the end of May. Since then he had an MRI which looked fine and was scheduled to have a PET at 4 months post-treatment. Like everyone else here, we were really planning on that scan (Hopefully) giving us some reassurance so we could move on a little, enjoy life a little more. BUT the darned insurance company DENIED it, we think, due to a mixup regarding an earlier denied PET that is still pending.
After battling the insurance for a while the Radonc said, "for you, an MRI is fine, less radiation anyway." I assume she means that she has high expectation of a NED.
So, my husband had one PET at diagnosis in Jan. Then he had TORS surgery and a neck dissection, and then right at the start of rad treatment, in March, he had an unplanned sort of "emergency" PET because the doctor didn't like some asymmetry in his pre-treatment CT scan. She said it looked fine (some hotspots in expected places) and proceeded with treatment. That second PET was denied by the insurance for being too soon from the previous one and now they are denying one that would normally be covered, because there's some glitch in the system that we can't seem to fix.
My question is: Has anyone else here not had a followup PET but an MRI instead? We were told at the end of treatment that the protocol is to have one post-treatment PET and then no more unless there is some suspicion to warrant it. Should we keep fighting for it? It seems that so many people get them with false positives and wait and see only to have another scan later to be fine. Maybe all these scans really aren't needed?
My husband had SCC L BOT 4 nodes involved one with very minor extracasular spread, p16+. His treatment was surgery, neck dissection, 33 rads 2 big bolus cisplatin (couldn't handle a third).