CSN Login
Members Online: 13

Second biopsy attempt looming on Friday

rainsandpours's picture
rainsandpours
Posts: 93
Joined: Apr 2013

Well, it's been a while since I logged in to update.  I've been pretty busy all summer with company visiting, being out of town and zillions of Dr appts.  At last posting, I think I was nearing my first biopsy date of May 27th.  Well that didn't go off like it should.  The radiologist refused to do it, as my tumor is in a precarious spot, butting up against my spleen, and towards the upper backside of the left kidney.  Fast forward to today.  I've been in a holding pattern waiting on a second forced attempt.  I sought a 2nd opinion from a well-respected Uro, who also recommended I do this, however, he's suggesting I have RFA done.  It's a two-fold process:  bio first, then RFA.  My first Uro has basically no clue what to do with me.  He doesn't want to operate, nor does he want to do watch/wait.  I think he's a moron, but that's besides the point. 

This second attempt is not guaranteed.  I've been warned they may abort the effort if again the tumor is elusive.  It's at least being done by CT, *arg, not again....already had 4 CT's since March*.....Should it fail, I don't know what'll happen.  I may choose the "do nothing" option.  Not excited about 3 monthly CT's to surveil it, but if I can avoid surgery I will.

 

This is all on top of other developments.  I finally had my breast MRI a week ago-after 4 months on the waitlist.  Results indicate a few tumors.  Seeing the BS next Monday.

 

Added to that, new recurrence of a thyroid met in the exact spot I had it removed in May.  Wasn't there in my June 10th U/S, but clearly visible at 1.6 cm on Aug 7th.  Pretty signifigant growth in 8 weeks.  Visit to the ENT end of the month.  Very doubtful he will operate again, nor do I want to.  He's playing "who's on first" with my Thyca.  Radiation Onc is unreachable, but she's useless anyway.  It's likely I'll have to go elsewhere for treatment, before it gets too late.  It's apparently so aggressive now that they cant remove them quick enough before a new one pops up.

 

But the most worrisome is the excrutiating back pain I've been in since early July.  I imagine it's spinal mets, but I can't get a single doctor to look into it.  Hopefully the CT on Friday will spot whatever it is.  I'm unable to sleep as the pain starts the second I lay down.  Ugh.  When it rains....

 

Anywho, that's the latest.  I'm going to try to catch up on everyone's progress on the board.

 

 

Djinnie's picture
Djinnie
Posts: 769
Joined: Apr 2013

Hi Rain, 

I can see what you mean about zillions of doctors appointments. I am sorry you are having to deal with so much at one time. I hope that all goes well with your scan tomorrow,and that the doctors are able to make a sound decision to help you move forward, in a positive way. I had RFA with biopsy the first time around in 2003. The recovery period is so quick, unlike this last one, which was a partial.

 

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and Monday! All the best!

 

Djinnie x

rainsandpours's picture
rainsandpours
Posts: 93
Joined: Apr 2013

Thank you Djinnie.  You;re very kind :)

 

Ok, bio done.  Was a bit of a gong show.  First they gave me the wrong time to check in, then had my name spelled wrong on admitting forms.  Geez.  But eventually they rolled me into the CT suite.  I got to speak to the specialist beforehand-he's apparently the top guy for this procedure in the country.  Wonderful Dr, I would highly recommend.  My Uro was supposed to requisition mild sedation, but of course he forgot again.  When tears of stress rolled down my cheeks, this lovely fellow ran out to the ER dept and scrambled up a high dosage of Ativan for me.  That helped immensely.  Then onto the Ct scanning.  I had 3 full separate scans (am I sufficiantly nuked now?) then continued jaunts into the scanner while the poked and prodded.  Don't let them fool you-having a 10 inch needle repeatedly stab your organs HURTS.  He had to inject more local, as every time he positioned the probes, I'd cry.  They took 10 samples, and showed me the container after.

 

I appreciated that- normally we're clueless what it is they've done.  It was a container will formalin, with red stringy wormy looking samples floating in it.  He said that was actual "core" pieces of the tumor.  He said they did the best they possibly could, but I was a challenging case, and there was still a chance it would come back inconclusive.  Should that happens, he's recommending an MRI in 6 months, but doesn't see the need for surgery at this point.  The mass is less than 2cm, and very deep down.  Hard to see even with contrast imaging.  He figures I've got at least 5 years before it doubles in size and will need to be dealt with. 

 

So....that's 3 differing opinions I've received.  Oddly enough, this is the dr who is supposed to my RFA, but he doesn't think it's necessary to perform it yet.  Hrrmph.

They only kept me for 2 hours after (despite the 6 hr standard).  I had no bleeding, and minor pain...(until the freezing wears off I guess).  Im to take pain meds every 4 hours over the weekend and note any increase in back pain or hematuria.

Path report should be back by Thurs next week.  He said he would call me himself with the results, since he knows my doctors on board are somewhat lazy about these thinhgs.

Love this guy :)

 

 

Djinnie's picture
Djinnie
Posts: 769
Joined: Apr 2013

Hi Rain, 

What a long winded ordeal, I can't imagine how difficult that was for you. Thank goodness they were successful this time, just the waiting now! Having confidence in your doctor is a must, I am glad to hear you have one of the best. So it looks as if it may be watch and wait for now at least!

Hope you get some time to relax this weekend, all the best for next week:)

 

Djinnie x

Eims's picture
Eims
Posts: 420
Joined: Feb 2013

Hi ya Rain,

I know its hard but try to take some time for yourself this week and do whatever it takes to help you with the wait........i feel it in my water that its gonna be good news.....thinking of you.

eims x

alice124's picture
alice124
Posts: 860
Joined: Mar 2012

Rain - will be thinking of you and hoping for good news. Did this wonderful doc give you Ativan to go? I know it would help me wait for results!

 

Truly hoping for a good report.  At least this first step is behind you.

 

 

rainsandpours's picture
rainsandpours
Posts: 93
Joined: Apr 2013

Hi Alice.  Nope, no roadies offered Yell, but that's ok, my GP will renew my scrip when I see her.

I'll be busy this week running around to other appointments, so I'm hoping to not think about the Path too much.

As much as I'd like to think it'll be B9, I'm realistic enough to know it likely won't be.  Seems that all this testing would not have been done if they thought different.  I'm numb to the whole cancer thing by now anyway, it's just another bump in the road.

 

Thank you ladies for all the support.  Everyone is so nice here.

 

Many hugs,

rains

 

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2014 © Cancer Survivors Network