Aug 05, 2013 - 12:41 am
Has anybody had this done? I had a "pretty severe" allergic reaction to oxi on my 7th chemo, and removed it from the mix, so I'm on fluorouracil, leucovorin, and avastin. I had significant shrinkage of my liver metastases while on the oxi and have been basically stable since it was stopped. When we reach the point of switching chemos, one of my oncs seems to prefer the idea of trying the oxi again using a desensitization protocol, and only move on to other drugs when oxi quits working. Until the allergic reaction, the oxi side effects had been pretty tolerable, and he would like to keep me feeling good as long as possible before starting new drugs that may have more unpleasant side effects. The other onc would rather go to irinotecan and erbitux as the next step, and only go back to the oxi later if I run out of what he considers less risky options than using a drug I am allergic to. He is the onc who was there when I had the reaction (itchy including tongue, red, puffy, vomitting, dizzy, blood pressure dropped to sixty-something over thirty-something I think). The decision is up to me, so I'm wondering about other people's experiences with either of those options.