Jul 06, 2013 - 8:36 am
I logged on to discuss this and saw Christine's post and realized so many of us are going through such pain. I wish you and Mike peace Christine and will keep you in my thoughts.
We are in a similar situation I believe. My husband (stage IV, 2 yrs in treatment) had emergency surgery 11 days ago due to a perforated bowel. This was caused by a stent that was placed about a month ago to relieve a constriction caused by a tumor pushing on his colon. The surgery was very hard on him and he is still in the hospital. He is still on an NG tube and shows no signs of turning the corner. He is confused and can't understand what is going on. He has been off chemo (his 4th regimen) for almost a month due to these complications. The "pain" team (we are at Ohio State University Medical Center and The James) discussed with me yesterday the possibility that he may not get well enough to have chemo again and that we should be starting to think about how this may go. I really struggle with the thought of accepting or knowing IF this is the downward spiral. Maybe he will start to feel better, maybe he will come home and get strong. I could face it better if I knew what were happening but everyday is like we are in a holding pattern waiting to see if he shows signs of getting better. In the medical condition he is in now, I could not care for him at home so I don't know if that means he will stay in the hospital or move to hoe. Does anyone have experience with someone moving to hoe in such a poor medical condition? I feel that hoe would be more peaceful than a step down (critial care) ward, but I am not sure hoe takes patients with such medical needs. I will ask the pain team all of these questions Monday when we meet again, but wondered if others had any insight.
Strength to you all