Jun 27, 2013 - 5:46 pm
Whew..I have encountered some very bitter, negative and downright depressing people lately. I've been easing back into working half days (with my handy dandy spit bag in hand) and of course have gotten some attention from people who did not know I'd had surgery, treatment or cancer in general. Here are a few of my "favorite" comments made..
* You know that you'll never get your taste buds back. At all.
* That is going to leave a HUGE scar.
* A feeding tube? Those are dangerous. You could die if you do the feeding wrong.
* Cancer? Oh gosh, are you sure it was cancer? (that one cracked me up!)
* You probably won't be able to eat real food again.
* You really shouldn't be out around people right now. If you catch a cold, you'll most likely die.
* You should have had chemo, too. Radiation doesn't do much. (I thought I'd have to smack her for that one!)
* Cancer. Whoa...that's pretty much a death sentence.
Oh my gosh...the list goes on and on. People just don't know that they don't know. I'm sure I've made a comment that I feel terrible about later, but goodness...use some kindness and common sense! I've been getting quite used to these kinds of comments being said (to my face!) but thought I'd share with y'all to see if you have experienced the same things.