We finally have a firm plan of treatment. Clint is feeling well right now and we are walking daily for 2 - 3 miles. In addition, he is using an "inspiration spirometer" to help maximize his lung capacity in preparation for surgery. We have decided (after many doctor visits to Beaumont, Jackson, Munson and Ann Arbor) to have all treatment at the University of Michigan. He will have concurrent chemo/radiation for approximately 6 weeks beginning this Tuesday. We don't know how he will react to this program but we understand that this particular combination of chemo drugs (taxol and carboplatin) is generally better tolerated and is used in part to "activate" the radiation and make it more effective. He will have radiation 5 days a week for 28 days and weekly chemo on Tuesdays. After the treatment is done, he will have a recovery period of 4 - 8 weeks before THE (Transhaital Esophagectomy) by Dr. Orringer at U of M. We both met with him and have great faith that we will get the best possible surgical treatment. Dr. Susan Urba (oncologist) and Dr. Jim Hayman (radiologist) will complete the team. We will meet weekly with both of them during chemo/radiation.
We hope to travel to our "Up North" home each Friday after radiation and come back to Ann Arbor on Monday. It's a five-hour drive so it will depend on how Clint feels about riding that distance...hopefully he can just sleep if he wants. I guess we are as ready as we can be for this very scary journey.