May 25, 2013 - 9:09 am
A family member in India has a fairly large tumor in her left upper chest area. The tumor grew within 3-4 months and has reached her neck area. Her PET scan shows high possibility of cancer. She went through needle biopsy twice and they only found necrotic cells.
- It is very likely she has non-hodgkins lymphoma because of its rapid growth and dying cells (and also due to PET scan results).
- Next step will be to do open biopsy and remove a chunk to find out what kind of cells are there in the tumor. However, this surgery is risky due to the location of the tumor - close to lungs and areries.
- If it is a form of cancer, they will start the treatement.
- If it is not cancer, they will need to remove the tumor (or at least most of it). But, this is very risky.
My questions are:
- If you have encountered similar sittuation, I would like to hear what happened and how to proceed.
- Does it make sense to bring the patient to US for treatment.
- If yes, which hospital? Doctor?
- Any guesses on the cost involved.