May 24, 2013 - 2:37 am
Yesterday dad decided to go to the hospitals he was in and to the Urological surgeon's office to pick up some paperwork to turn in to his insurance, and once we got these, being curious as I am, I decided to read through all the paperwork, including results of the surgical report, initial biopsy report, and findings of imaging and blood tests done in regards to his bilateral pulmonary emboli.
As far as the cancer goes, the pathology report noted the prostate was enlarged and very slightly nodular, though no lesion was visible prior to dissection of the tissue. It was found that the cancer was actually in both sides of the prostate, and perineural invasion was present. The cancer involved 10% of ghe prostate with results being negative for extracapsular invasion. There was one margin that appeared to possibly be minimally focal invassive, but again, even with that taken into account, extracapsular invasion did not appear to be present. His pathologic stage was pt2cnxmx, gleason score remained 6(3+3). So it appears the cancer was a little bit worse than what the biopsy showed.
Second part has to due with tests and blood work done to diagnose his bilateral pulmonary emboli. It was noted that his d dimer level was 5000, which was strongly suggestive of pulmonary embolism. X rays and CT scans were taken, and CT scans confirmed extensive bilateral pulmonary emboli. He was thus given heparin through an iv that night in the ER, where he seemed to stabilize enough for transport to a larger and better equiped facility. Their fests, imaging, and blood work also reported extensive bilateral pulmonary emboli and their report stated that the left lung embolism may have caused significant damage to his left ventricle and ischemia was to be considered. Rest of the imaging tests revealed no active cardiopulmonary disease other than the pulmonary emboli. He was continued on heparin via IV from the early morning he arrived at that hospital (May 9) until discharge on May 12, which he has since been assigned to home healthcare(not hospice) and was prescribed the blood thiner xarelto 15mg to be taken twice a day for 17 days, and after that, he will go on 20mg xarelto 1x daily for up to 6 months. Doctors said they believe the emboli were a result of the prostate surgery, mimd you, the Urologist did say this was a potential risk with surgery, and dad of course went ahead and gave consent to do the surgery.
Lastly a ct scan was done on his head in the hospital he was first taken to, and it said findings were normal, with no mass, tumor, hemorrahging , or further trauma present. I just really dont know how to properly handle all this, I was hoping once the surgery was done, dad would feel better agakn sll. And be able to return to normal activities within a couple months. However, with the pulmonary emboli and the evident damage done to his heart, it appears that this will not be the case, and dad will most likely never be the same again, and more than likley, his life expectancy has been drastical