May 08, 2013 - 4:44 pm
My sister and I have made the decision to take my father back to the hospital. Now besides his weakness, he is running a fever of 101 degrees. Its has become painfully obvious that we are unable to provide him with the help he needs. Neither her or myself have been able to sleep at all the last week, and it is making us less and less effective in providing him assistance. With the development of the fever , we felt like that was the line that wa going to be drawn, and have therefore decided to take him back to the hospital. I have never heard of radical prostatectomy patients having the amount of difficulties he is having, unless they were generally older men 75 years or older. The doctor said he wouod have recomended dad for either radiation or active surveilance if he had been 73 instead of 63 for example. And he's had nothing but misery out of his catheter, it leaks pourously, and his bed clothes and pants have to be changed anywhere from 3-5 times a day, and that's even with urine pads being placed on his bed. Starting to wonder if this surgeon was just anxious to do the surgery, instead of going with other options with lesser liklihood of short term complications, but then again, he did let dad make that choice on his own, and even asked him if he wanted more time to decide on what to do, but dad made up his mind that day and chose surgery. They had did some preadmission testing to be sure it was safe to proceed, and I guess the results told thdm it was safe. I just don't know. I honestly don't know what to do right now, and my sister and I both are extremely exhausted, especially mentally.