Apr 22, 2013 - 3:40 pm
Hello everyone, newbie here. I've been searching all over the web for information on people like my husband. He was diagnosed December, 2012. Right hemi-colectomy, 2 feet of colon removed, 13 lymph nodes. Stage 2 with no lymph nodes involved, large tumor removed with resection, very successful. Oncologists and all other doctors involved recommended the Folfox 12 treatment regimen every other week. He started in late January and had 5 treatments with very little trouble. Treatment #6 he started having stomach cramps in the office, nausea all evening, vomiting, compazine, etc. Next day ended up back at oncology center for fluids due to dehydration and low bp. More anti-nausea meds, much more vomiting. Over to ED for CT scan, small bowel obstruction found near surgical site. Nasty NG tube again and admission to hospital. Obstruction cleared on its own with belly rest of 48 hours. Back home after 4 days with short term diet restrictions and Metamucil added to daily meds. Oncologist gave him another week off from chemo to review his case. Went back last Tuesday and had 5FU chemo only (with lucavorin infused in the office - no oxaliplatin) to see how he would tolerate just the 5FU. He's had ***ulative constipation throughout chemo, gets better just in time for next treatment. Our oncologist is cautious and we trust him. We go back tomorrow for follow up to last week's 5FU. A few choices he may have: No more chemo, 6 more 5FU only, 1 more oxaliplatin and 5FU, 6 more complete Folfox. The risks of another bowel obstruction have to be weighed against this treatment for Stage 2 - that's where I can't find any information. He is 60. My husband is hoping he'll say "You're fine, you don't need anymore chemo" but we all know none of is ever "fine" after receiving a cancer diagnosis.
They feel the latest obstruction was caused by ***ulative constipation and possibly scar tissue compressing bowel.
I'm wondering if anyone on this board has had a similar experience or had to stop the Folfox and how they did after that. I'm thinking the oncologist will give us the information he knows and let my husband decide what he wants to do. Another oncologist in the group did tell us studies are being done to review 6 treatments. vs. 12, but nothing is recommended yet.
Thanks in advance for anything anyone can share on this.