CSN Login
Members Online: 6

How to gain weight during chemo

vabeachbaker
Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 2013

Hi,

My husband was diagnosed November 2012 with stage 14 gastric cancer. The surgeon was able to remove  60% of his stomach and some of the small intestine. 98% of the cancer was removed leaving 2% to battle.  He has been through three chemo treatments and has three more to go. Treatments have been very rough on him and he has been so sick.  As a result he has lost a lot of weight and is very thin. In between treatments he juices and eats what he can tolerate. He does well with pasta, potatoes, eggs, and likes milk shakes. Every week he has a different craving, just like a pregnant woman.  I am seeking weight gain advise for him. Anything you can recommend is appreciated.

We have remained strong with our faith and thank God for every day we have together as a family. 

 

vabeachbaker
Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 2013

Sorry my post should be stage 4 not 14.

Robleyd's picture
Robleyd
Posts: 13
Joined: Jan 2013

Hi vabechblaker, You can add Protien power to his shakes. They make it in several different flavers. Is he eatting 7 or 8 times a day? My wife makes me shakes with  whole milk, a banana and other fruits with a whole scop of protien power. I drink some of that when I get up at night. Eat small meals and CHEW his food real well. Hope this helps him Robley

vabeachbaker
Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 2013

 

Hi Robley,

Thanks for the great advice. I will have him add protein to his shakes. He definitely needs to learn how to graze through the day.

JennySC's picture
JennySC
Posts: 32
Joined: Jan 2013

VABeachBaker,

How is your husband doing?

My husband was diagnosed a little bit later, in December 2012. It's Stage 4 Stomach cancer and no option of surgery. It's first found at his lung, but not lung cancer. When he was in hospital for 10 days, he lost about 10 pounds. Now he has gained the weights, and he is doing very well without much pain. He has done 4 chemo, very mild side effects. He drinks CellQuest a bottle daily which is recommended by his friend. From Youtube, we have found that someone has the cancer cured by drinking CellQuest. I cooked lots of beef soups first, but we only make cornchicken soups now. Fish or seafood is better, cornchickens is all right. My husband doesn't eat beef and pork now although he can eat any solid food. Doctors have told us that he can eat anything, but we have found out that high sugar/salty food are not good. Sometimes he drinks Ensure to keep the energy level high.

I hope this helps. Besh wishes to you and everybody on board.

 

vabeachbaker
Posts: 4
Joined: Jan 2013

Hi JennySC,

Thank you for the information . I will look into the cellquest. My husband likes seafood but it doesnt like him during chemo weeks. He also  has to watch the citric acid intake from soup because it will make him sick.

It is chemo week and he has done really good in round 4. He has fluids bext 3 days which always helps him feel better.

Take care.

mawmaw of 4
Posts: 5
Joined: Nov 2012

My wife had total stomach removal and the best way to gain and maintain weight is after you eat, go lay down and cover up and stay warm. Most nutrients consumed are used to keep your body warm so by covering up, you are keeping warm and using the food to the fullest. Mu wife weighed about 130, went down to 96 and now maintains about 114 constantly. Stay on top on nutrition and get plent of vitamin D because she is now battling severe bone loss. Hope this helps and God bless you all.

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2014 © Cancer Survivors Network