Jan 25, 2013 - 8:35 pm
So I'm leaning towards doing this study. I've signed the paperwork and have appointments next week to do all the preliminary labs and another CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. They are also doing a bone scan because I have one spot on my right femur that they aren't sure what it is. I feel better after the most experienced doc said it most definitely isn't an RCC met. He didn't even want to test it. Still, this is the most thorough scan I've had so far, and I'm nervous of what they might find. (We all know this...)
Honestly, until the pill is in front of me I'm not sure I'll swallow it. And even if I do, I am reserving the right to not take it the next day. And the day after, and so on...
Now that I've had 3 oncologists tell me my probability for recurrence is near 50%, I'd like to do something to try and reduce that. I'm sort of hoping I get the placebo and just get closer monitoring.
It was difficult to choose between this trial and the pazopanib (votrient) trial. In the end I chose the doctor I liked better at the hospital I liked better that is all closer to my home. I decided they really don't know which drug is more effective and certainly don't know for this situation (or for me). I'm hoping my doc is correct, and the side effects are mild/manageable.