Jan 14, 2013 - 3:50 pm
I've read some older posts regarding HR/invasive breast cancer in premenapausal women. I am 45. I was recently diagnosed with a second breast cancer in the opposite breast. The first cancer was diagnosed in 2009, had a lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. That breast remains cancer-free. The other breast has a tumor that is 1.2 cm, is also hormone receptive, and wasn't found on a mamogram the year before.
My question is how to proceed. I've made the difficult decision of having a double mastectomy. I thought I would have my ovaries removed because I am still menstrating and it seems obvious that the drug isn't doing what its intenteded to do. But, having just met with my ob/gyn, he thinks that a total hysterectomy is required. The ovary removal will remove the estrogen, but he tells me that the tamoxifen increased my hormone production in my uterus. Thus, significantly increasing my risk for uterine cancer. I've been taking tamoxifen for 3.5 years.
Has anyone been approximately my age (or premenapausal) faced this decision? If so, what factors helped you arrive at a decision to do something with the ovaries and possibly the uterus? If a hysterectomy took place, what was the recovery like? My ob said that hormone replacement was not an option...and led me to believe that there weren't any other homeopathic or Rx that could help with menapausal symptoms. Doctor also wouldn't recommend the once monthly hormone supressent.
A couple of other factors: paternal great grandmother, great aunt, grandmother and my own mother all had breast cancer. There is no history of uterine cancer.