Dec 23, 2012 - 1:44 pm
As everyone knows David's prognosis is not good and measured in months. I have talked with my work about extending my FMLA, but was unsuccessful. They want me to take a leave of absence and pay $1650 a month for Cobra. David and I have talked and we have decided that it is time for me to cut my ties with my school district. I will be submitting a request to be relieved of my contract on January 3, 2013. I will apply for social security for David and I am going to try to get unemployment, because one of the reasons you can quit a job in Kentucky and draw unemployment is caring for a seriously ill spouse. I think this qualifies. If I can just make enough to cover my Cobra then we should be ok. I am not saying it will be easy, but I am at peace with this decision. Since we decided a few days ago I have been so much more relaxed. That job was uber stressful and if I went back my mind would not be there. On top of that I did not want David to have to spend the rest of his life at a long term care facility. I want him home with a wife, dog and six cats who love him dearly. When this is over if I want to get another job as a school psychologist, I can just say I quit because of my terminally ill husband and not even have to drag the school district through the mud. They have been so mean to me for the past 13 years and I would have definitely quit before if I were not so fearful. So in a way they did me a favor by backing me into a corner. Please continue to pray for me and also pray that the school district will allow me out of my contract gracefully.