Dec 04, 2012 - 8:42 pm
I have been mostly silent for the last month. I have been swept up in another horrible tornado, just as I was back in 2008, when Johnnybegood uttered those words "Mom, I have colorectal cancer." At my hubby's insistence, we had not told her the news. She is feeling better, and her platelets are rising, and may be able to restart Avastin in the next few weeks. I would have done anything not to drop this one on her, but I could no longer "put on my happy face" during our long distance communications. Thanks to Winter and Craig, I have been able to retain a little of my sanity.
About six weeks ago my hubby was diagnosed with tongue cancer with mets to neck lymph nodes(right side) and left lung. Won't know if lung node is a met or other cancer until after lung biopsy. Treatment is Erbitux paired with 35 IMRT rads followed by surgery and reconstruction. This all preceded by extraction of at least 12 teeth by an oral surgeon in a hospital. Right now, we are on hold. He is now in A-fib and CHF. Can't get cardio to realize he is controlling the start of this process. Oral surgeon won't touch him in A-fib(who can blame him?) and cardio asst. says "Oh, it's okay for him to get a couple of teeth pulled while in A-fib. And, by the way, when was your last stress test?" He told her he was stressed enough, Thank You. So oral surgeon is sending cardio a letter outlining the procedure. The last time his A-fib required hospitalization, stopping his heart, and restarting it. Hopefully, cardio will realize how serious this is.
I have learned a lot from all you wonderful folks, one of the most important being to get a second opinion. Fortunately, we live near an MD Anderson and I have secured an appt. there for this Friday. Perhaps their treatment protocol won't be so harsh, who knows? I only know that the prognosis is not good, given his various medical problems.
So I come to you, my friends, just for hugs, words of comfort and wisdom, and perhaps a few prayers and good vibes to help us get through this.