Dec 04, 2012 - 8:13 pm
I am Wolfen. I have been a member of CSN since 2009. In 2008, my daughter, Johnnybegood, was diagnosed with Stage IV Colon Cancer, mets to liver and both lungs. Through numerous rads, chemos, surgeries and countless side effect alleviating meds, she fights bravely on.
I have spoken to a few very kind HN members through PM, but have been unable to post on the board because, at my husband's insistence, we had not told Johnnybegood what he is facing on the home front. She lives across the country from us and although it would be unlikey that she would read the HN board, I couldn't take the chance. We finally told her today, and as I expected, it was quite a blow. Cancer has struck my family again.
My husband is 65, diabetic, and has a heart condition requiring an implanted pacemaker defibrillator. About six weeks ago, he was diagnosed with cancer of the tongue(right side in the back)and lymph nodes(right side neck), as well as left lung. Don't know yet if the lung node is a met or a different cancer. Lung biopsy is pending.
We have seen an oncologist and radiologist. Suggested chemo is Erbitux. Suggested rad is IMRT(35 treatments), followed by surgery and reconstruction. Treatment is to be preceded with extraction of at least 12 teeth, all at the same time by an oral surgeon in a hospital surgicenter. As of today, we remain in a holding pattern because he is now experiencing A-fib and CHF. The oral surgeon will not touch him until the heart problem is corrected. I have made repeated attempts since Thanksgiving to get the cardiologist to understand just how serious this is. Right now, he is the puppetmaster failing to start the show. The attitude of the Physician's Asst.(who just graduated this year) is that it's okay for him to go ahead and get a couple of teeth pulled while his heart is in this condition. The oral surgeon's ofc. will be contacting the cardio tomorrow to explain exactly what his part entails. The usual correction method is to put him in the hospital, stop his heart, and then restart it.
This is truly a NIGHTMARE. I had to laugh when the oncologist said "Your ENT is like the quarterback of your team". That man dropped the ball after week one. I am the quarterback fielding all the arrangements, questions, tests, and "who knows what" to come. Some of this is familiar as I spent the first six months of my daughter's treatment with her, and although she was very, very ill, she didn't have the extra medical problems that my husband has, as well as this being a totally different type of cancer.
Is anyone here in the same boat(that is slowly sinking) or one like it as far as your medical conditions? I know, without asking, that his prognosis is not good. I really doubt that his heart and blood sugar levels can withstand the treatments. He has already lost his appetite and eats very little causing his blood sugar to be erratic.
Thank you for the Superthread questions. I'll also be checking the list of essentials for the appts. Which inexpensive protein drink can you recommend? We are on Social Security and definitely not wealthy.
The one "good" note about this is that we are near an MD Anderson and I have secured an appt. with them for this Friday. I would feel much more comfortable in a setting where there are many specialists for his various conditions, should an emergency arise. I also know the importance of getting that second opinion.
I aplogize for the length of this post, but I'm just at a loss and looking for any info. that any of you can offer.