Dec 01, 2012 - 1:14 am
Hello. I am new to these discussion boards and am looking for some help in clearing my head and making one of the toughest decisions I think I have ever been asked to make. I was diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma on 11/20/12. The tumor size is 2.5cm in my right breast. I did a BRCA test and it was negative. There is no history of breast cancer in my family. My surgeon has left the decision up to me whether to have a lumpectomy or mastectomy of one or both breasts.....needless to say I can't seem to make a decision that I feel good about. Part of me wants to conserve my breasts and another part of me worries that if I don't act now and just have both breast removed that I will have a recurrence and have to go through all of this emotional and possible physical pain again. I am only 30 years old and my main goal is to just simply live to see my 5 year old son grow up and grow old himself. I was told that both the surgical procedures have the same success rates for survival, so how does one decide which one to do? To make matters worse the two most important men in my life disagree about what they think is the best option. My father can't stand the thought of me having a mastectomy if it is not absolutely necessary and my husband worries that if I don't have a mastectomy that it will reoccur and we will go through this again. Can anyone share with me how they made their own personal decisions on surgical procedure or give me any insight that might help me to make a decision? Thanks in advance.