Oct 11, 2012 - 8:21 pm
I saw my radiation oncologist yesterday, the one who relayed the 'good' news about a good scan but with a spot that lit up. Long story short is that they are not sure what it may be. It could be simply calcified scar tissue, latent disease that is so damaged that it can't divide, or a slumbering beast waiting to wake up, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.
His original recommendation was to wait and watch it, but after the meeting with the tumor board he is recommending a selective neck dissection to take out the left cervical nodes. The scary thing is the meeting with the surgeon today, who agreed and has set up surgery for this coming Tuesday.
Strange how it moved so quickly from a 'wait and watch' to now a priority surgery.
I'm more than a little worried, I"m told the surgery will be out patient and home the same day, a week off work, and then hopefully NED!
What happens if it comes up positive?