Oct 01, 2012 - 8:13 am
Update - I had gotten my mom an appointment with her family doctor because she wasn't feeling well and I wasn't sure where to start. She had her labwork done after lunch and before we could get to her appointment he sent us to the ER (because he isn't a practicing physician at the hospital her oncologist is at). Her hemaglobin was down to 5.6 - they gave her 3 units of blood and fresh plasma as of this morning and the nurse said they are waiting for her labs to come back now. I was unaware that shortness of breath was a sign of low blood count but will now have that info stored in my memory bank as well. Hopefully we will get more answers today.
My mom has been very positive through this entire journey with kidney cancer up to this point. She had a radical neph. 3 years ago almost to the day. Scans were well until last November. At that time a couple of small nodules were found on her lungs in the lower lobe. They watched and redid the scans in April. At that time there were a lot more nodules (they didn't give a number, just said several) and so they did a biopsy. The first one came back inconclusive and unfortunately she was told there was no cancer and she needed to follow up with a pulmonologist. A few days after that they called back and said the dr. wanted another biopsy. But before they had given her the false information the urologist had her meet with an oncologist (This is at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit). We were really taken back with what she had told us. The urologist told my mom she would probably have 5-7 years but this doctor described a much different picture and didn't offer a lot of hope. My mom, my sister, and myself were very upset, disappointed, etc when we left that meeting. Then my mom thought it was all good and there was no cancer. Then after the 2nd biopsy she contracted pneumonia and was hospitalized locally for a week (we live about 3 hours from Detroit). She met with a local oncologist while in the hospital and really liked him. She decided Detroit was too far to travel if she was feeling sick and didn't care for the oncologist there so she started treatment with the local oncologist. He put her on the exact dose of Votrient the detroit dr. had talked about and her first 3 month scan after taking the medicine was last week. On Wednesday we go to get the results and my mom has told 3 different people that she thinks he will tell her the medicine isn't working. I don't think she wants to give up but I think she's discouraged. I'm hoping the cancer isn't too far gone if the meds aren't working and we can get her some relief from the breathing issues she's having. They are definitely worse than they were before and I'm just really worried about her. I'm thinking about taking her to Cleveland Clinic or Mayo for another opinion if she's willing. I just want to make sure we do everything can to help her. Has anyone else had a bad experience on one and then get great results/improvement with another or at this point will it be to maintain and not get worse?