CSN Login
Members Online: 4

Saw the doc

Litapita
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 2012

Ok so here's what happened. He said he isn't convinced it's coc but of course cannot be 100% sure unless they take it out and biopsy it. He didn't seem to be very confident in the HE 4 results and said that test is still very new (CA 125 was within normal). He said the problem with me is that because I have already had numerous bowel resections due to the Crohn's that it would not be an easy surgery and there is a high risk of losing more bowel in the process of trying to get to the ovary and that could wreak more havoc on the Crohn's disease. He said laparoscopically is out of the question for me. Because of these risks he recommends waiting and repeating the ultrasound and CA125 2 months from the last one which was August 7 (I think, I gotta double check that...mental note lol) and see if anything has changed. He also said that if I feel strongly about doing the surgery he would do it and he would have a general surgeon present to handle the possibilities of any bowel issues.
Here are my concerns:
1) in April there was nothing on my ovary on CT scan, then August it's 3 cm (4 months time)
2) I have been experiencing bloating on going for 3-4 months.....bloating is not uncommon with Crohn's but in my 30 years experience of dealing with it, the bloating has never been this long lasting, usually a week maximum.
3) nauseas a lot, and again can be a symptom of Crohn's but has never been the case in my disease process unless I'm completely obstructed which I know I'm not from the CT scan results.
4) how quickly can oc spread?

Part of me says take it out!!!!!!! But after he told that this is not going to be a simple surgery it made me very scared about unleashing a bigger beast in my already troubled intestinal tract.

What do you think?

Ruffy7
Posts: 126
Joined: Sep 2011

I totally understand you wanting it out. Don't remember what your menopause state is but I also had a 4.3 complex solid mass on the ovary. They took it out and it was a hemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst not cancer. So that was good news but I did say to the Dr that if something comes up again I want a total hysterectomy- no more of this piece by piece surgery. I was lucky that mine was laprascopic. - since your
Is more complicated sounds like a good plan to wait - cysts are very common and many times resolve on their own though with menopausal women with a history of cancer - I think drs are more cautious.

Ruffy7
Posts: 126
Joined: Sep 2011

My Ct scan showed nothing but 5 weeks later the cyst was there. - they can develop quickly.

Litapita
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 2012

I am going thru menopause now and he did say that if he goes in he thinks it's best to do a total hysterectomy in an effort to avoid ever having to go in there again given my history.

Tethys41's picture
Tethys41
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sep 2010

Ovarian cancer can spread quickly or be slow growing. It depends on the type and the body's environment. If you are considering waiting, I would strongly suggest that you work hard to get your body as healthy as possible. Working with a naturopath or integrative practitioner will give you the guidance on how best to approach this. The should be able to get your estrogen methylation balanced, which could be contributing to the cyst, regardless of its type. They should also be able to address issues related to the Crohn's Disease.
If you opt for surgery, I agree that taking everything out to avoid future problems and surgeries, sounds like good advice.
Hope you find an answer that feels good to you.

Litapita
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 2012

Ok I think I am going to wait one month, which will be 2 months from the last ultrasound, and if it's the same size or any larger then I will have the hysterectomy. If its smaller, well then I guess we will just watch it for a bit longer. Unfortunately Teth I can't afford to go to a naturopath but aim going to focus on eating much healthier, maybe start juicing, and all around trying to get healthier and stronger until then.
Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Litapita
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 2012

I have continued to mull over the pros and cons of both and have decided to proceed with the surgery. I called the doc this morning and the wheels are in motion. I have to go see a general surgeon first because of the need to have one present during the hysterectomy just in case other issues arise. I feel a huge weight lifted just having made this decision.

kikz's picture
kikz
Posts: 1275
Joined: Jun 2010

the very best on your journey. We are put in a place where we have to make such important decisions and don't have the luxury of time. If you feel at peace, it is the right decision for you.

Please keep us updated. The women here are so supportive and kind. They have helped me get through the last couple of years. When I have news to tell, I come to the board right after I speak with my family and closest friends. There are times when I share things with these ladies that I don't share with anyone else.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen

Litapita
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 2012

Thank you so much Karen. I have seen how caring everyone here is and it's remarkable and beautiful.

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2014 © Cancer Survivors Network