Jul 18, 2012 - 10:48 pm
Hello Everyone ...
I am a usual suspect on the breast cancer board. Was dx last August and have just recently been declared NED. WOOO HOOO ... However, back in December I had a Pet scan and that scan showed I had a few small nodules in both lungs (3-4cm). Once was 6mm, peripheral, and complex. The docs said to wait for the next scan to see if they grew.
A couple grew including the 6mm one. It was 7mm in May. I had a visit to the ER in June because I was having trouble breathing. Well, the ER doc suspected gallstones and possible blood clot. Not sure how he came up with those problems but I am glad that I had another scan. It showed that 2 more nodules grew, as well as two previous ones growing to the size of 8-9mm. AND he said that 2 "masses" were found in my upper right lung. I don't think I spoke for 5 minutes. I had to take it all in. This newer scan was exactly one month after the last one. I am worried that the growth is not a good thing.
Since I am a breast cancer survivor and did had radiation to the right breast, I know that the masses could be a side effect of radiation. I did see my oncologist this week (we went over my mammo which was GOOD) and she did say that she needs to know what is going in my lungs (I just fired my other oncologist...this was my first visit with her) She is concerned about the masses and that some of the nodules that have grown are outside the radiation area.
I guess I am writing here because I am looking for any information about what I might expect if this turns out to be a secondary cancer. My MO already believes it is not mets. I am taking Arimidex for estrogen fueled cancer and if this was mets, the nodules would disappear. She went over the scenario about the possibility of being Stage IV. That confuses me too. If it's not mets, then staging would be different, right? I wouldn't necessarily be stage IV without a biopsy. Anyway, she is waiting for the next ct scan (August 6) and waiting to hear what my thoracic surgeon says when he sees the report. My understanding is she wants to do VATS just to get to the bottom of this.
Is VATS a difficult surgery? What kind of problems are possible? I just feel somewhat LOST.
Thanks for any help.
Gentle hugs and prayers,