Jun 05, 2012 - 10:52 am
This is my first post. I joined the website in April 2012; So I figured it was time to share my story. I have read many posts and want to thank everyone here. Many of my questions have already been answered.
I'm now 49, and I was diagnosed with Stage III Mantle Cell Lymphoma in early February 2012.
January 26, 2012, I had my gall bladder removed because it was only working at 1% and giving me stomach problems. (I also had an umbilical hernia repaired). When the surgeon removed the gall bladder, she also removed an enlarged lymph node near my gall bladder. Everything was biopsied and the pathology reports indicated possible lymphoma. I went to see an Oncologist, he ordered several tests. First, removal of another lymph node (in my neck) and a cat scan. They showed that it was a non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma called mantle cell. More tests were ordered—a bone marrow test (Which Sucked Big Time) and PET scan. The bone marrow test revealed 2-3% lymphoma and the PET scan showed nothing more. Meanwhile, I’m non-symptomatic and I feel fine (Actually great since I had the Gall Bladder removed). My Oncologist concluded that the cancer is probably indolent (slow growing) and not aggressive (quick growing). So, at this point there will be no treatment. This is called watchful-waiting and My Oncologist will see me every 3 months unless I start having symptoms such as lumps, bumps, excessive night sweating, fever, weight loss, or pain. My Oncologist also spoke of getting a second opinion out-of-town. My cancer center (NYOH) has a relationship with Dana Farber in Boston. I decided that it would be a good idea to go there and my wife agreed. The Oncologist at Dana Farber concurred with My Oncologist, so we are watching it.
Up until this point my wife (a 5 year breast cancer survivor herself) & I have been handling this quite well. I go back to my Ongologist June 26th for my 3 month follow up. Now I'm starting to get a little worried about the results. I just keep hoping and praying that he tells me to come back in another 3 months. I still am not having any symptoms so I keep hoping for the best.