CSN Login
Members Online: 4

(3) ground glass lung nodules?

Prsartist3
Posts: 9
Joined: Apr 2012

Does anyone have expierence with this finding?

After my Dr. Found a suspicious cyst on my kidney
And is recommending surgical removal of that cyst.
(and part of my kidney) then ordered a MRI, which revealed
A small well calcified granuloma. Then ordered a CT of the chest
Which revealed that the granuloma was benign, but there
Were (3) ground glass nodules (between 4-5mm) in one lung.

I read where these GG nodules are high probability for cancer 88%
And I've also read there only about 30%

Can anyone shed some light on this?
And I can find no information on having (3) of them
But I know it doesn't look good!

Just got the results in the mail today, dr. Didn't call.

Thanks

pc2asscs
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 2012

Sounds similar to a CT result for my wife. NIH has this about it.

Malignant Pure Pulmonary Ground-Glass Opacity Nodules: Prognostic Implications
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2647178/

Prsartist3
Posts: 9
Joined: Apr 2012

Thanks for the link, I wish they would make things a little easier to understand!

I'm also praying mine aren't malignant!
But I guess I'm playing the waiting game for
One of my Dr's step up and call me on this?

lexpark66
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 2012

All of your questions can be answered in the attached link at the bottom. The short answer to your question is below:

1) Are your GGNs "pure" or "mixed" (e.g. some portion of solid component)? This matters because pure = 30% chance of malignancy and mixed >=70% chance, hence the range you referenced.

2) Size matters where >10mm is much higher risk and <10mm much lower risk

3) Even if your pure GGN nodules <10mm are malignant, there is a 95% chance that it is either AAH (think mole type of lesion but not cancer yet) or AIS (new definition of BAC) which has a 100% 5 year survival rate among patients that had their pure GGNs resected (link below summarizes all of the research on this over the last 10 years--from Japan where GGNs are quite common). Only 5% of patients in this series of studies had AC from a persistent pure GGN <10mm in size. Most patients with stable non-growing GGNs that are <10mm in size simply watch and wait with serial CT scans every six months over several years. Patients with multiple pure GGNs are managed with the same protocols.

http://cancergrace.org/lung/topic/persistent-ground-glass-nodules-ggns-excellent-synthesis-of-the-research/

webbrowsingreader
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 2013

I had one GG nodule the same size located in the upper left lung. I complained about a strange pain I'd occassionally get in that area (usually with colds) and was determined it was really in the lung. After being seen by a few specialists with no confirmed testing I was told it was likely a spore due to living near river beds. I did follow up with CT scans over the coarse of 2 years and there was no change. Curious to keep reading and see what your results were. Hope you're ok. It's been 6 years and I still get frequent pain in that same area. Other than that I'm perfectly healthy to my knowledge.

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2014 © Cancer Survivors Network