Mar 16, 2012 - 6:13 pm
My urologist had told me that the time would come when I would need a CT scan with contrast but I wasn’t expecting that time for another six months. My GP is suggesting a CT scan with contrast for an issue not necessarily related to my kidney cancer. He has advised me of the risks to my remaining kidney, risks I was already aware of. He tells me that he spoke with a radiologist who said that contrast is not dangerous to the kidney if the kidney is “normal.” Normal being defined as a GFR over 60. He wants me to have another blood test to see if, hopefully, the GFR has gone up since my last one just a few weeks ago. I don’t have a lot of hope for that since my last reading was 56 and prior to that it had fluctuated for the last 19 months between 47 and 56. He will be consulting with my urologist and nephrologist next week and is expecting a decision from me. I think I have no choice but to do it, but there are a few things I need to have straight in my mind before I make that decision.