Mar 06, 2012 - 7:54 am
David had his first Avastin infusion last Thursday. Went smoothly and seems to have tolerated it well. I have heard from others that going on Avastin was like "flipping a switch" as far as reversal of deficits and well being. I know it's only been five days, but so far, things are looking worse, not better as far as his deficits. Starting on Sunday, he seemed weaker overall, but especially so on his right side, which is the side that is most affected by the tumors. He is having a harder time getting up from the chair to use his walker...even falling a couple of times. And his speech seems a little worse, and his voice seems weaker. He even said it feels like he can't talk.
I know it's too early to see an improvement from the Avastin, but I certainly didn't expect what is looking like a rapid decline...stable would be nice. We asked his NO if there is another drug we could add to the Avastin, like Ironetcan. He said that they use to add that to the Avastin but new research and their experience has shown the drug to have no real benefit over Avastin alone. But, he would add that to his Avastin regimen if we wanted but warned that it can cause severe diarherra. I relayed this to David and he said he didn't want to add that one. We see his NO on Mar 20, and will talk to him more about the pros/cons of adding another drug.
After much mental anguish, I have finally come to a decision re: getting a second opinion. I have talked to several people who have much experience in the medical realm, including my niece, who is a nurse in Columbus and has gone through this experience with a close friend and with her husband (pancreatic cancer). She said that we are going to a top rated cancer center and that Dr. C is a highly rated and respected NO. So, we have decided not to get a second opinion. At this point, we don't need to have conflicting opinions to deal with and more people in the mix. I think it would create more stress, especially if the second opinion would come back different. Then what? Get a third? ...And the uncertainty and mental stress escalates.
All this is happening at a time when things are chaotic here at home. My husband, who is my only partner in the caretaking role, had knee surgery last week and undergoing extensive rehab. And over the past four days, we've had to undergo some long drives associated with the death of my husband's mother, who was 89.
Thank goodness for our wonderful daughter, who has flown in from Wyoming to help us. She is engaged and feels strongly that she wants David to be in the ceremony. But we are wondering if she should have a small ceremony here at home...soon. More things to add to the pot! It's going to be hard on me when she has to leave later this week. I so wish she lived close by.
If David's symptoms continue to deteriorate today or tomorrow, I am calling his NO and getting him in.
This is rambling but appreciate a place where I can do this.