Feb 29, 2012 - 2:04 pm
Has anyone ever gotten a second opinion over the phone? Our son's NO is putting him on Avastin. He gets the first infusion tomorrow. However, I am concerned that no other chemo drug is being added. We were told that more or less, this Avastin is the drug of last resort, and median survival is 6 months. (His MRI last week showed dramatic progression..almost a doubling in the sizes of the tumors over the past two months.) This decision came from the Tumor Board's recommendation, which involved input from a multi disciplinary team. He doesn't qualify for any clinical trials, mainly because his Karposky score is so low: 50.
I have a phone call into his NO, saying that we want to attack this more agressively by adding another drug. If he says no, then I want to get another opinion but we are not in a position to travel at this point.
Has anyone ever gotten a second opinion over the phone by mailing or faxing the patient's records? If so, was it difficult? How did it work out?