Feb 09, 2012 - 1:46 am
Hi everyone. My mother was diagnosed with Stage III B lung cancer on 2/1/12. On 12/23/11, a chest x-ray had an incidental finding. A biopsy on 1/26/12 confirmed lung cancer. Chemo and radiation are the plan for treatment. However, this past Monday, we found out that my mother's pacemaker was in the line of radiation and it would have to be moved before treatment could begin.
So as of right now, it looks likes treatment (both chemo and radiation) won't begin until the week of 2/20. So in a nutshell, I guess my questions are...
- Can anyone provide me with some information as to how long it generally takes from the time cancer is suspected (and then confirmed) to begin treatment? I am not sure how these things typically procede. My gut feeling is that the urgency to begin treatment should be much higher.
- Can you please offer any insight as to how delaying treatment for lung cancer by several weeks could affect treatment/general outlook?
Thank you in advance for your help. This is all new to me and I want to make sure I am being the best advocate I can be for my mother. Thanks again.