Jan 19, 2012 - 4:58 pm
Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer Apr 2011 and finding it hard to make up my mind to get the surgery. I went to the doctor complaining of cramping, stomach bloating, nausea, etc.. A CT scan was done with and without contrast and they found a 3 cm solid mass in the center of my right kidney and a 6 cm complex mass on my ovary along with multiple fibroid tumors. Because it was recommended that I have 2 surgeries, I was advised to have the total hysterectomy first because it could be cancerous also (rough surgery). I was happy when it wasn’t but disappointed also, I believe I had the surgery done and didn’t need to. What if I get the same diagnoses after the second surgery? The tumor (kidney) hasn’t grown since diagnoses. I keeping wondering if the doctors are wrong and it’s not cancer. I had a fourth opinion 29 Dec 2011 and he too said it’s a 95% chance of being renal cell cancer. But, I still can’t wrap my mind around getting the surgery. I have rationalized that I can probably wait another year since this is a slow growing cancer and see if it continues to grow or go away. My urologist has agreed to wait another 6 months and do the CT scan again. I have read many periodical, websites, books, etc. and know about the stages and how long I can wait. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you overcome it?