Nov 23, 2011 - 7:11 pm
Hello Everyone. A 69 year old relative of mine was recently diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer stage 3 maybe 4. He was admitted to the hospital 9 days ago with trouble breathing. 4 days ago a stent was inserted in a major artery to keep the tumor from putting pressure on it. 2 days ago the doctor made a formal diagnosis and started radiation treatment - on the same day. Now the doctor wants to start chemotherapy on Friday. So he will have chemo and radiation treatments during the same period.
The answers to my newbie questions are probably posted somewhere, but I'm having trouble locating them. I'd very much appreciate any help you might offer.
Do any of you have thoughts about whether or not this is a wise thing to do? My relatives are in shock and not asking many questions, so the reasoning is unknown. Does anyone have an opinion about getting a second opinion? Should the second oncologist be consulted before chemo starts?
And how do they go about deciding which doctor to go with? My relatives are simply going with the oncologist that was assigned by the hospital. This may or may not be a great thing. Is there a webgroup where patients share information regarding oncologists? Does anyone care to rate Stanford Cancer Center which might be a good place for a second opinion?
Thank you very much for any help and time you might offer.