Oct 15, 2011 - 7:37 am
My 45 year old husband was recently diagnosed with a large skull-based brain tumor that went from his ear drum to behind his nasal cavity down to his jaw bone. He had dizzy spells, lost half of his hearing in one ear and had numbness on this face. The first biopsy that was done on the section protruding from his ear drum came back inconclusive. He had surgery a month ago to remove 90% of the tumor. The remaining 10% was left because it was too close to vital organs, including his carotid artery and cranial nerves. At this point, side effects from surgery are minimal… his facial numbness has gone away but his hearing loss has remained.
After sending the pathology slides to other hospitals, it took them 4 weeks to finally diagnosis him with a ”low grade” spindle cell sarcoma. Because my husband is still young, the neurosurgeon is recommending a “wait and see” approach to any treatment because the tumor is low grade. He said they’d do another scan in a couple months to see what seems to be growing before radiation. His reasoning is because of my husband’s age radiation might create more tumors and be more harmful than good. Also, that some of the remaining cancer cells might die off naturally (scar tissue). However, the radiation oncologist suggests radiation at this time to get the remaining 10%.
While everything I’ve read says low grade sarcomas are slow growing and tend to grow back at the initial site, nothing I’ve read suggests not administering radiation or chemotherapy if any of the tumor remains, which my husband has.