I haven't been around for past 3 weeks as I've been lurking on the lung cancer page. Dad (who's 83) has been diagnosed with advanced stage non small cell lung cancer. His Onc has indicated he has 2 choices...chemo to prolong his life to 12 - 24 month or nothing at all aka ho****e. Dad's been wavering back and forth hoping one of us will tell him what he should do. He's confused and doesn't fully comprehend what's going on. I have been telling his docs I think he has beginning dementia. Anyway, went to his place today to go over the options again...pros and cons of both and to read him the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care he signed 20+ years ago. He doesn't remember signing it :o( let alone remembering what it says. So I explained to him he can change his mind but he needs to let me know so I can update it. He's decided to leave as is which means he will not be doing the chemo. I think he was relieved to not be having that decision to make anymore...we'll see if it changes between now and Friday when he meets with the Onc again.
I had another Onc appointment this week. RBC,Hemoglobin and Hemotocrit have dipped below the standard. The Onc doesn't seem too worried about it since I feel good. Will go back in Nov to which he said that he will order an additional lab test: Ferritin (iron deficiency anemia). He said that depending on the results of that test we MAY get a subtype without having to do the node biopsy. I say yea! I hope it happens...I'm so stalling on the node biopsy.
Indolent B Cell Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma - watch and wait