Feb 12, 2011 - 10:34 pm
As I posted here before, my dad has Small cell lung cancer. Two weeks ago, my father was in the hospital when they did an angiogram, and he also caught pneumonia. While he was there, they did CT Scans of his body and the scans didn't show any sign of cancer. Last week we visited the oncologist, and the oncologist said that the CT scans were clear, but he wants to do a PET Scan. My dad's last PET Scan was in December.
Now, I need your advice. Should we go to this PET Scan on Monday? The reason that I don't want him to go is this:
1.They did CT scans a few weeks go, So why put him through a PET Scan when the CT Scans were okay? he is going to have many, many PET Scans in upcoming months, why him put him through radiation exposure right now.
2.I believe a PET Scan is when you have to lie there for half an hour, correct? My dad is trying to recover from pneumonia, so it's going to be very difficult for him to lie on a cold flat surface for that long when he isn't able to breathe well.
3.My dad's appetite is not good at all already. And for a PET scan, don't you have to drink a "dye" beforehand, and not eat anything for half a day?? I don't know what to do. My dad is so weak, it's taking him so long to recover from pneumonia - he isn't able to walk. I don't want him to be tortured. I don't know what to do. What do you guys think? Should we hold off on the Pet Scan until my dad gets a little better and is able to walk?