This sounds like a great program from Alegant.
The website is:http://www.alegent.com/body.cfm?id=3866&action=detail&service=246
It’s the most natural question to ask when you receive a cancer diagnosis. And it’s a question that’s hard to answer when dealing with the emotions and thoughts that inevitably overwhelm you after you’re given your test results. We understand this is a difficult time for you and your family. That’s why we offer the Nurse Navigator program to all of our oncology patients in the Alegent Health system.
What is a Nurse Navigator?
A Nurse Navigator is an oncology-certified nurse who is available to guide you and your family through the entire process of diagnosis and treatment at Alegent Health. The Nurse Navigator is a single point of contact who will be there with you every step of the way.
The Alegent Health Podcast Episode #13
What is the cost of a Nurse Navigator?
There is no additional charge for a Nurse Navigator.
What can I expect from a Nurse Navigator?
The role of the Nurse Navigator is to ease the burden of cancer treatment on both you and your family. Nurse Navigators will:
* Help you understand your diagnosis and the available treatment options.
* Discuss any warning signs or symptoms that may arise over the course of treatment and recovery.
* Collaborate with all members of the medical team to ensure information is current and available from all of your physicians, nurses and counselors.
* Help you and your family connect with community resources.
* Coordinate your care with any other healthcare provider throughout the system. This includes:
o Cancer Support Team, which provides: education on disease and treatment; comfort and symptom management; patient and family counseling (including: emotional, social, spiritual, nutritional and financial counseling); referral to community services (home care, palliative care and hoe care); cancer rehabilitation; integrative therapies; and support groups.
o Cancer Genetics doents your personal and family medical history and discusses inheritance patterns and risks.
o Cancer Clinical Trials, which your physician may recommend as a benefit to you and other cancer patients.
o Professional Services throughout the system.