Sep 15, 2010 - 2:43 pm
The ENT visit on Tuesday was horrible. I left the office in tears and stayed that way all day. The ENT wants to do major surgery on my dad, just to take biopsies. He wants to take 6-9 biopies and then do a scoope down his throat just to look around. When he had his scans on the 30th of August they were clear except for activity at 3 on the tongue. The ENT then told my dad that he is at risk for being put to sleep for the biopies. He thinks that there is a 50% chance there is cancer in the tongue, because it feels irregular and my dad told him he can still feel just a little irratation there. He does not have pain just notices that the tongue feels different. He said that after the biopies he will must likley need the major surgery to remove his tongue and that would only give him a 50% cure rate. He could choose to do chemo to slow it down but that would not last very long. He was so negative and cold to us. He then argued with me that he was the one that did the first biopsy and he was not. That was an oral surgeon.
My dad said he will not do the surgery or even the biopsies at this point. He said that his tongue is feeling better even more so in the last two weeks. I heard the ENT on the phone talking to the oncologist and waiting 2 monthes and rescanning was mention, however that option was not given to us.
I still feel like to could be scar tissue and sweeling from the radiation. It has not even been 3 monthes since treatment ended. I would be more concerned it was cancer if my dad was not noticing am improvement.
I have a call into the oncologist and am waiting to hear. Please share with me your opinions. I know some of you have had things lite up on the scan and they have waited and watched. Also, do all biopies have to been done as a major operation?
Thank you so much for all of your support,