I had a nephrectomy for rcc last June, was stage 1. Six months later at my follow up ct, it was determined that I had more cancer and
am now a stage 4. I am due to have surgery later this month for removal of lymph nodes and possible dissection of the vena cava.
Then I will go on sutent.I work full time and my employer of course wants to know if I will be coming back to work. I know I
will qualify for ssa disabiliy, which won't be very much money plus there is the two year waiting period for medicare. I am 61 and
feel that it might be better if I tried to work only part-time. I asked my doctor if he thought I would be able to work,and
he said it would depend on how I recover from the surgery. There are just so many unknowns. Cobra insurance is expensive and
I understand sutent is pricey. I called my insurance plan and they wouldn't tell me how much it cost over the phone. I guess my
question is what others in my situation have done. How long do you wait before going the disability route? Can the side effects
of sutent be managed well enough to allow work? Thank you for your input.