I am new to this Cancer Network and have signed up on behalf of my Dad. He is 65 years old and battling tongue cancer. He has already went through the following treatments and is now faced with what seems like the final crossroad.
1. Surgery to remove tumor on base of tongue in Jun 2009
2. Cancer returned 2 months later in Aug 2009
3. Started Radiation/Erbitux treaments in Sep 2009 and finished 58 of 64 radiation treatments and 4 Erbitux treatmeants
4. Ended up in hospital due to severe reaction to radiation and Erbitux
5. Released from hospital in early Dec 2009 and was back home for about 2 months eating, moving around, and back on his feet
6. A Thrush infection started in his mouth and did not get better during that time at home
7. Due to the infection not healing the doctors moved up the PET scan and originally it came back as "Inconclusive"
8. Eventually, the doctors determined his cancer was back and was given a number of different opinions on next steps (enjoy the time he had left, attempt chemotherapy)
9. He is now battling an infection in his neck along with the tumor on the base of his tongue and has since had a feeding tube put in.
10. He is now faced with the decision of either simply going on Hospice and enjoying the time he has left or starting a regimen of either TPF or PF chemotherapy.
I am looking for any advice/help or someone who has had a similar experience where chemotherapy has worked and is now living today. Our concern is that since he has an infection his body may be too weak to go through with the chemo.
Any advice/opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!