Oct 02, 2009 - 5:59 am
I posted this in Ovarian Cancer support as well as it's specific to that type of cancer but in general this posting under emotional support is for just that and I know many in here so value your opinions. What do you think? Any input would be appreciated - I'm going bonkers -well bonkier anyways. Sigh. Here is what is going on.
What a mess I am. Help anyone, please.
I have been battling to have a gyne/onc handle my biopsy of a node and cyst on my right ovary since June and finally have been successful in meeting with this kind of specialist rather than a reg. gyne - I have a very complicated history of non hodgkins lymphoma and many side effects including heart issues now, most of the health problems due to the bone marrow transplant I had to have for the cancer 18 years ago. NED til this cyst and node showed up in Nov of last year but weren't seen til June of this year. So not being able to get this biopsied for so long, knowing they have been in there for almost a year now has been scarey.
I finally saw the gyne/onc yesterday and to my total surprise, instead of just doing an operation proposed by another reg gyne I talked with which was taking the ovary alone and doing a D and C for some weird tissue in my uterus, said he would do a total hysterectomy taking the ovaries and tubes too. He said it would be 'the cut' rather than laparoscopy as I had thought I would be looking at if it were just the ovary removal and I think I went into some kind of shock cause I left there not sure I was doing the right thing in going ahead with the surgery for a few reasons.
This gyne/onc first off told me that a cyst and node of this kind they really are not that worried about and said that it in all likelyhood is probably not cancer. However, to me, with my history of NHL, which I have heard puts you at greater risk for a second cancer and all the treatments I have had in the past 20 years from diagnosis (including a bone marrow transplant) plus all the after effects I have (including a damaged heart from chemo drugs), I wonder if I am doing the right thing by going ahead with this immense surgery especially because I am at greater risk of complications from just anaesthetic alone and heart issues. I am soooooooooooooooo confused.
Of course they are doing Pre Op assessments and I will meet with the cardiologists there (who will no doubt confer with mine) and tons of other specialists before the total green light is given but still if the onc feels this shows no real indications of cancer from what they see of the size and the type of cyst and node then am I right in pushing ahead with this surgery?
The doc said that if they find any signs of cancer of course they will take further samples and the biopsy is done with me on the table while they wait for results before finishing surgery so they will do it all right there - which is why I wanted the gyne/onc so that I am not having to go through 2 surgeries instead by a reg gyne. I feel proud of myself that I hung in there and got the specialist I wanted though - that wasnt easy.
Then on top of this decision of course it's flu season and I will be in a hospital in major surgery with this and usually catch everything out there so that's another factor. My GP wants me to get the pneumonia shot and the flu shot and the H1N1 as well when they come out so that is another issue with this surgery looming and close. The gyne/onc said it will happen in 4 to 6 weeks or so, barring any red flags going up.
I am so confused. I know there is alot of detail in what I have just told you but I'm a complicated health case, as many of us are. My question to you is basically - if a gyne/onc told you that in all likelihood a cyst and node of this kind is most likely not cancer what would you do? Would it be smarter to take the wait and see approach (knowing that these tissues have been there for almost a year already but small and growing very minutely) since the surgery is extensive and the risks greater for you or would you not take a chance that it could be ovarian and catch it early????????
I would go to my GP of 25 years and discuss this with her but she has become so hard to get in to see as her practice is just so busy I won't be seeing her til the end of October and by then I might be on the surgery table. Sigh.
Since I have had such extensive chemo and total body radiation if I wait and it does turn out to be ovarian and I have left it to stage 3 or past then would my already weakened body be able to take more aggressive treatments?
Thanks for your time. By the way I am in Canada in case any suggestions are applicable only in the states. Blessings, Bluerose