Jun 19, 2009 - 10:10 pm
Here’s an update for where we are.
My father, Howard, has been diagnosed with Stage IVB Esophagael Cancer. Dr. Juergens at John Hopkins indicated that his tumor is inoperable, that his Liver is 30% involved and that it’s in his lymph nodes. She also indicated that there is a lot of calcium in his blood and recommends tests on his bones, but that hasn’t happened. She gave him 6 months without any chemo treatments to live or possibly a year with chemo. They will do the first round of chemo but if he does not respond she will stop further treatments. They have had to put two different stents in since my email and he continues to have trouble with tolerating the stents. He keeps gaging or having spasms.
This past Sunday night my father went into the ER complaining of pain with the second stent (the first one dropped into his stomach). They did a CT and found that he had multiple pulmonary embolisms in his lung. He also has a DVT, so now he’s on blood thinners. He was in the ICU for a couple days and then they sent him home as he improved.
His chemo has been delayed for 2 weeks from the Stent problems and the Embolism problems. He is supposed to have his first treatment on the 23rd of June. It’s been a tough ride for him since the 19th of May. I am sure there is more to come.
I have contacted his priest and my priest for support. My faith is very strong and I hope his is strengthen during this difficult time.
Please keep us in your prayers.