May 31, 2009 - 8:30 pm
My significant other is scheduled to have a partial laryngectomy next week with the top surgeon at the University of Penna. He is terrified and now wants a 2nd opinion. He went through 8 weeks of chemo and radiation ending last November but a recent larynoscopy and biopsy showed the cancer was still there, although a PET scan said otherwise. He is 80 years old and very independent and will not listen to a thing I say. I feel a 2nd opinion will just delay the inevitable and the cancer will spread if he waits any longer, causing a complete laryngectomy instead of a partial. We've heard the surgery takes anywhere from 7 to 9 hours which I'm afraid he will not be able to survive even though he is a very strong and healthy (sans the cancer) man. Needless to say, I am a wreck over this. He wants to cancel the surgery. He keeps hoping there are other options. He had hoped for the laser surgery but the surgeon said this was not an option in his case but did not explain why. I don't know where to turn!