I will be getting a 200 dose for radioactive iodine.. I am a bit nervous.. worried about vomiting
My daughter had 204mci on May 27, 2008. They administered it through 2 pills. We requested this because my daughter will not drink anything that is not appealing to her.. The nuclear med doc said it is easier to mix in liquid but he was able to get pill form for her.. My daughter was diagnosed in 12/07 at 19yrs old . I wrote a brief summary of her story under "What generally happens next".
The only symptom was dryness in her throat for a few days..
She was quarantined for 3 days and she did bring lemon drops to suck on in case her salivary glands dried out.. Lemon drops stimulate saliva production.. She did not have a problem with her salivary glands. (Don't worry) She was crazy by the time I picked up her from the hospital but it was from the food and the isolation.. LOL..
It is alot of RAI but my daughter had alot of disease.. I am glad my daughters doctors are aggressive.. We want this C to be history and I know you do too.. We are waiting for follow up testing.. So far full ultrasound of neck showed NEO-no evidence of. She had CT of chest and neck on 3/27.. Praying for NEO.. June she will be going for a radioactive whole body scan..
It sounds like they are going to bomb this C out of your body.. Ged rid of it. It's not wanted here.. It's not wanted anywhere.. Stay strong and God Bless..
Did you have RAI back in 2005 when they removed your thyroid???
I was just a tad worried but now reading this post I am cool LOL.. It was the high number that put me uneasy. Yes,my new doctor wants to get rid of this thing, even though she was clear with me that it might come back just because it moved to a fibro adipose tissue.
But I am positive I am a believer and I know God is in control. She also said that this C is not gonna take my life but it might make it uncomfortable because of the check ups and maybe future treatments... hopefully we will kill it, I will be having a scan after my treatment on April.
This is the second time for me. On 2005 I had the RAI with no problems just the Isolation and food stuff!! wahhhh
Thanks and God bless.. I will be praying for your daughter ;-)
Seems like the pills would be less damaging to the taste buds and salivary glands?
Not sure about that. I've had this treatment only with a pill.. Did you have this treatment in another way? Sorry for my ignorance..
I just had my TT on march 9. I have just been reading about people who drank the liquid 131 who said their taste buds came off or they couldn't taste anything for several months after treatment and also had pain and swelling in their salivary glands. If I do have to have RAI I think I will demand pills.
I took the pill when I had my RAI. I had problems with my tate buds being way off for quite awhile. Sill also caused the pain in the jaw and swelling. So I guess either way you have a price to pay. Guess it just depends on what the hospital gives because I was told by my oncologist that some do the liquid others do the pill. I prefer the pill I can't stand nasty tasting liquids, I'm a big baby when it comes to that, I'd rather quickly swallow a pill than gag on a nasty tasting liquid.
I would think the pill would be better as far as your taste buds, but the liquid might absorb faster. I took the pill last April. The side effects were not bad. Next week I go back for 1 year ck up and schedule a scan.