Hi. I just want to give you some pre-op tips to get ready for when you have surgery. I was seeing a therapist, who is a cancer survivor, and she gave me wonderful tips.
I had an APR and abd graft was taken, so my abd required serious healing. Use whatever you think may help:
- Get a removeable shower head. If you need to keep areas dry, it is a must! Helps with showering in general.
- Get a wedge pillow from a medical supply store. If your abd is sore, laying flat is a BIG problem. I slept with the wedge for quite a while.
- Get a donut pillow to sit on. Make sure you clear it with the surgeon - if sutures are delicately placed, it can also be problematic. I used mine for months, esp. in the car.
- Buy pajamas that button down the front, completely. This way you can wear your clothes, and still have MD's check you without too much problem.
- Bring bathrobe and slippers to hospital. You need to walk around ASAP post-op. Wearing your own stuff makes you feel better.
- Buy some underwear a couple sizes too big. My butt was swollen and tender - watch out Jenn Lopez!
- Talk to anesthesia... I STRONGLY rec. an epidural. It allows you to get up and walk around so much faster.
- My hubbie brought all my get well cards and hung them all over the room. It really brightened up the room and made it feel more like my place. Think about what will make you smile - and heal fast to get home and see your baby quicker!
- Before my surgery I began yoga, to try to relax and stretch. Now I am an addict. My surgeon states my yoga keeps discomfort away. I got a DVD and did it at home. Think about it.
That is all I can think of right now. Hopefully others will add on to help list what helps them. Be well. Hope the juicing is getting better. :) jana