Apr 07, 2005 - 8:32 am
I will try to make this as short as possible but still explain my situation. A year ago this week my mom was found to have cancer in her abdomen and reproductive organs a surgery was performed and removed all the cancer the surgeon found. It was a mucinous adenocarcinoma which at the time just meant cancer to me. Pathology said colon or GI and the surgeon insisted since she had no elevated tumor markers and a clean colonoscopy he felt it was ovarian so he went on for seven months to treat ovarian. She became symptamatic with right side pain again in November, did a CAT scan and found tumor return in all the same areas. Started her on just xeloda and needless to say we left that hospital and went for a second opinion. The new onc. said it was definately not ovarian, so we started over, still on xeloda which must have been doing something because she feels great dispite the fact that there is a tumor in the area of the cecum in the colon. Our new oncologist ordered every test under the sun to find a primary, after the CAT and PET it appears that there is a tumor showning increased activity in the cecum so we went yeaterday for a surgery consult. The surgeon doesn't want to rush into surgery, last one was a disaster, blood clots, lung infection, you name it she had it. He said the scans currently are only showing one tumor he feels that it could be shrunk with chemo. The oncologist was afraisd of a perferation, he said from what he sees on the colonscopy report that is highly unlikely. He said there is always the risk of perferation ar obstruction when you are dealing with a colon cancer and after everything she has been through to be doing as good as she is is amazing. Now I am confused though. I don't know if the surgeon fells that there is nothing to gain by surgery or if he feels the results will be the same with or without it. He is going to present her case to the other surgeons and see if the majority agree with him. In the mean time I guess we just stay on xeloda and wait to hear. Clinically none of her doctors can even believe she has cancer, her blood work is better then mine even when she is on chemo, they say if they didn't see it on the scan they would never know, that just adds to the confusion of the who disease. The surgeon said there is no cure since it is already spread, we know that, I am just wondering can this be controlled if it isn't totally removed. I don't know if any of this even makes sense I know it doesn't to me, I just don't want to waste anymore time treating this the wrong way. There is also a growth in near the rectum but it came back cystic in nature on the PET, the surgeon never even mentioned it, doesn't cause mom any discompfort and has been there since NOV. is it possible this could be a cyst?? I know everybody has a different case when dealing with colon cancer and I guess even though we did go through chemo for the wrong tumor the surgeon wants to treat it more like a recurrence and see if the colon cancer treatments will help. He said surgery can be an option if the chemo doesn't shrink it..... I still feel after a year of fighting this disease we are no further then when we started....I guess we are a little further, mom can eat, and work with no pain, something that wasn't and option before the surgery. Sorry this is so long I am just confused, we will hear from the surgeon in the next two weeks in the mean time she feels great,except the sore feet from the xeloda, so I guess we just continue to wait and pray as we have been doing.. Thanks for listening.