Dec 30, 2004 - 1:55 am
Back on Dec., 10 during what was supposed to be a "routine" laproscopic procedure to check for scar tissue etc. as my chemo had ended, my surgeon found that I have peritoneal carcinomatosis. This is a very rare condition sometimes called "seeding" where the cancer spreads to the abdomen, liver and other organs. The prognosis is grim and my oncologist told me that, if untreated, I would have 6 months to live.
The surgery for this condition is huge, approx. 12-14 hours of surgery followed by up to 28 days in hospital. We sent my records to Dr. Sugarbaker in Washington who is the leader in the field and the pioneer of the surgery necessary to save my life, called cytoreduction surgery.
We found out today that the earliest Dr. Sugarbaker can perform the surgery is March 17. There are very few surgeons in North America (the world actually) who perform this surgery. One of the surgeons is here in Cincinnati where I live, Dr. Loewy.
Here is my dilemma: My surgeon here in Cincy is friends with Dr. Loewy and said that if Dr. Sugarbaker couldnt perform the surgeon quickly he could get me into Dr. Loewy quickly. So, do I wait until March 17 for Dr. Sugarbaker in Washington or do I go with Dr. Loewy in Cincy likely sometime in Jan??? I am meeting with my surgeon tomorrow to discuss this and I am hoping that he will give me his honest opinion as to whether I can afford to wait (its 3 months into my 6 months if what my oncologist said is correct about my time). I also plan to meet with Dr. Loewy to see what he has to say.
I guess I am just so confused right now....I feel fine, hard to believe this is even happening to me as everyone thought I had done so well after my resection (Stage III at that time) and after my chemo when ended this past Nov.
I guess I am looking for feedback - I know its not an easy situation but advice from you guys is the best advice I have found so far.
I wish everyone the very best in the upcoming New Year!