Nov 12, 2004 - 6:50 pm
Last night my husband of nearly 16 years came home and told me that the "so-called nothing biopsy" (done about 10 days ago) from the lymph nodes in his neck showed that he had hodgkin's disease. His doctor immediately sent him for a PET scan, several xrays of his chest and abdomen and maybe some others too. He was in too much shock to remember everything that was done. Meanwhile today some results came back showing possible tumors(not sure what they're called) in his abdomen. At first they thought he might be stage 1 but now they seem to be leaning toward stage 2 with this possible sighting.
Frankly we are in shock. The man has never been sick and feels and looks just fine. In fact if his doctor hadn't insisted on the biopsy we never would have known he was sick (neither the needle aspiration nor the blood work showed anything.)
He is being seen at Mass General (which is where his PCP is - and it seems to have a good reputation.) On monday we are going to the oncologist. How or why or when do you decide to get a second opinion?
I've done some preliminary reading for both us (during the last 20 hours) as he is unable to bring himself to the computer, yet. I'm very worried about him as he didn't sleep practically at all last night (I know -- I watched him).
I think I'm asking for some reassurance from the community at large this this feeling of being totally overwhelmed and confused is OK. I am hoping that as he is staged (not sure if I'm using these words right) and we have some treatment plans, that he will feel more secure.
Would anyone be willing to share their experiences, etc.
Thanks very much -- signed a very, very worried and scared spouse.