My husband was diagnosed with myxoid liposarcoma on September 10, 2004. He travels alot, and found a lump on his thigh (size of a small lemon) when he was in indonesia on July 4th. Upon returning, he showed it to me, and I made an appointment the following day for him to see the doctor. The doctor refered him to a specialist (sports & medicine). They did several tests, to include MRI's, CT, X-ray, ultra sound, followed by a biopsy. The biopsy came back as a benign myxoma. My husband was given the option to remove it or leave it. Looking back, thank God he made the decision to remove it. As we now know, nothing is 100%, and we were told that after two biopsies, this was indeed a malignant tumor. My husband is now being seen by a wonderful team at John's Hopkin's Hospital in Baltimore. He had surgery on October 8th, to remove the margin (very wide excision). We were told two weeks ago, that the results of an extensive biopsy showed no sign of residual liposarcoma. He is still recovering from the surgery, and is scheduled to receive 35 rounds of radiation in a few weeks. We have also met twice with an Oncologist, yesterday being the second time. However, that meeting did not go well. The first meeting he told us that chemo really has not shown to be effective for this type of cancer. He gave us some figures to think about, and told us to come back after the surgery to discuss our options. Yesterday we went and saw him again, only to find out the the figures have changed since we last met. The first time we met, he told us that this type of cancer has a 20-30% chance of going elswhere. Yesterday that number was increased from 20-30% to 30-40%. This really disturbed me. He also told us that if my husband did not do it now, and it returned in the future, basically that would not be a good sentence. He told us at that point there would be no hope, and they would just try and buy time or so to speak. Could he have been just a little more negative!!!! I am very upset with this doctor, and have decided to get another opinion. We have two small children, and are in our mid 30's. Never did I ever imagine we would see something like this. I am very scared and am having a difficult time dealing with all of this. I would like to chat with someone who has been diagnosed with this type of cancer. Did you opt for radiation only? if so, how long has it been? has anything else showed up? As you can see, I am deeply lost. Mike is my best freind, and I just can't imagine this journey without him. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
spouse-diagnosed with myxoid liposarcoma in back of right thigh, stage 2 (chemo doctor said 2 or 3 does not make a difference, so you might as well say stage 3!!!) Located right under the skin (not deep) which they said was very rare.