CSN Login
Members Online: 11

Radiation

nward
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 2003

Hi, my husband is 60 years old and had complete radical prostrate cancer surgery Oct./2002. The Doctor said his cancer was 85% in the prostrate.
Since the surgery he has had two PSA tests done. The first came back at .8 and now the one he got back yesterday was .18. It has doubled in 3 months. The Doctor was surprised of course and now has set him up with an oncologist for a radiation consultation. Evidently there are still cancer cells floating around inside. My concerns as well as my husbands is that it may have spread elsewhere. I would also think that they would have to do cat scans to see where the cancer is. Has anyone else out there had any experience with the radiation in this area? His father died of cancer that started in the prostrate and then went to his bones. We are so stressed it would be nice to hear from others. I have gone through this cancer before with my father and brother both having cancer and passing 6 months apart. One had pancreatic and the other stomach cancer and my mother breast cancer. Thank you

coachtom
Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 2003

I would suggest first questioning the doc: What does "85%in the prostate" mean? Where is the other 15%? If it's concentrated in the area, then certainly undergo radiation at that site. Probably 25 doses over 5 weeks...side effects are minimal.

qertiv
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 2003

coachtom: This is exactly my situation; radical -ectomy and 15% still there, but localized (he says). He Says I should start radiation. He says 30 doses over 6 weeks. Did this happen to you? What's the results? How long ago? Any alternatives? What does "minimal side effects" mean? Tired, nauseous? diarrhea? discomfort? Where? burning? pain?

coachtom
Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 2003

Q... OK, 30 doses over six weeks. (I had 25 PLUS radiation seed implantation.) Most of my side effects were the result of Lupron, not radiation. My radiation came AFTER 4 months of Lupron (designed to shrink the prostate). But I had no discernable bone involvement. My guess is that insofar as the radiation is localized, yopu will not experience much in the way of side effects. Perhaps some weakness, maybe some minor nasea, but no real problems... no baldness, vomiting,etc. At least that's what I hope for you. If you can avoid Lupron, do so. Good Luck!!!

derekworkman
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 2003

with the rate that the psa is rising it seems that the cancer is already systemic and the first move should be hormone treatment to stop further advances and then get further advise before you start the burn option. contact the prostate cancer research institute at www.prostate-cancer.org and also call harry pinchot with your questions at 310-743-2110. he is an advisor for the group.

nward
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 2003

Coach Tom & to all who have responded:
The Doctor did not suggest taking the hormone treatments to stop the cancer growth - they have started him with the radiation - He is now at the end of his 5th week. He has to go everyday for 8 weeks, a total of 40 treatments. Does anyone know how long after the last treatment when they do a PSA test again. His side effects now are terrible fatigue and some diarhea. He is a custom home builder and it is a good thing his son works along side of him and knows the building trade very well, as he says that he just can't concentrate very well and just doesn't have the strength to do much of anything.He swings by the house around lunch time and falls asleep at the kitchen chair. He said tonight that he almost feels ashamed because he can't do what he normally does. It is nice to have people like you out there to talk to.
Thank's for listening.

nward
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 2003

Thanks so much for the web site on prostrate cancer - altho, my husband has already started the radiation, they did not give him a choice. They said if the radiation didn't work, then they would probably give the Lupron or another alternative. He is now in his 5th weeek of radiation and has another 3 weeks to go, for a total of 8 weeks (40 treatments) one everyday. Needless to say, he is now starting to get very fatigued. He says he feels ashamed and worthless because he can't concentrate on anything and doesn't have the energy or strength to do any work. I will go on that web site now to see what kind of info they have. Thanks again

Subscribe with RSS
About Cancer Society

The content on this site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Use of this online service is subject to the disclaimer and the terms and conditions.

Copyright 2000-2014 © Cancer Survivors Network