Jul 03, 2002 - 3:20 pm
My 32 year old daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer in May and had a mastectomy on May 25. She is 16 weeks pregnant now. The first oncologist said she would have to have chemo. Then she went to Duke for a second opinion and was told the risk of chemo outweighed the benefit. Then, after the doctors at Duke did their own pathology, they found some "ugly" cells and they're worried about waiting until after the baby to start Tamoxifen - they think she should consider doing chemo when the baby is at 24 weeks.
What a roller coaster.... I feel so bad for my daughter as they're really leaving the decision for chemo up to her. She had infiltrating ductal carcinoma 1.3 cm and clear nodes. She is estrogen and progesterone receptive positive.
Does anyone out there have any advice?